I decided to catch up on the tags that some very nice people have tagged me to do before because now I’m having my semester break (muahahaha), and I have lots and lots of free time 😀 !!!!
I was tagged to do the Blogger Recognition Award by Beth from The Books are Everywhere. Thank you for tagging me! You should check out her blog if you haven’t already!
- Write a post to show your award
- Give a brief story of how your blog started
- Give two advice to new bloggers
- Thank whoever nominated you and provide a link to their blog
Select 15 other blogs you want to give the award to
‘Of Reading and Random Things’ A Brief History
It was a few days before New Year’s eve(this year, 2016), and I was watching Little House on the Prairie with my mom. Well, she was watching, I was stalking some blogs 😀 . Anyway, as I was browsing through all the awesome blogs, I thought about how much fun it would be to have one of my own, to be able to talk about books and other things to people who wouldn’t think I was weird, or at least weirder than I actually am.
I don’t have any friends ‘in real life’ who loves to read as much as I do. Actually not even half as much as I do. Some of them read one book in a year and call it an accomplishment (sorry guys, but it’s true). And whenever I try to explain to them why I love a book, with all the squealing and fangirling and nonsensical words, they look at me like I’m from some other planet.
Or, if they’re nice, smile and nod like they know/care what I’m talking about. It’s disheartening, because most of the time, I end up not saying anything because of that. I’d just talk to them about other things that we have in common.
My mom always encouraged me to start a blog. She has a few blogger friends who are ‘Internet Famous’ and make money out of their blogs, so she thought I could do the same. I told her, I don’t want that (really), I just think it would be nice to have an outlet for my book-induced coma. Of course, it would be super nice if I could make money out of it, but that’s not important. And I’ve always wanted to have online friends that I can talk to, and maybe even be really good friends with.
So because of that, I decided to start my own blog.On December 31st, 2015, I went to WordPress and created Of Reading and Random Things, and I posted my very first post the next day ( a New Year’s resolutions thingy). And now here I am! Wow, this ‘brief’ history ended up longer than I thought it would. Sorry about that…
‘Advice’ to New Bloggers
Okay, first of all, I really don’t think I’m qualified to go around giving advice to people about blogging. Especially since I’m not the best blogger. You know, with the irregular posts and stuff. Also, I’ve only been doing this for about five and a half months, so… yeah.
But, if I have to come up with two things, I would say:
- Don’t let blogging stress you out. Blogging is supposed to be fun! It’s an outlet for you to unleash all your pent up emotions after reading that super awesome book that you can’t stop thinking about. You don’t have to feel pressured if you can’t post that often, or if you miss a day, or if you have nothing to talk about. If you don’t feel like posting anything, then don’t. If you can’t come up with interesting ideas for a discussion, then take it easy and do something else. The moment you let the blog make you feel stressed, or pressured, you won’t feel the same about it/enjoy doing it anymore. Or maybe that’s just me, so you can decide for yourself.
- Next. Don’t let the stats make you feel sad. Maybe you have a lot of visitors one day, and almost none the next day. Maybe you don’t have as many followers as that other awesome blog that’s newer than yours. It doesn’t matter! You’re doing this for you, remember? Not for anyone else. Let’s say you’ve been blogging for many months and yet your follower count doesn’t get any higher. Well, I say it doesn’t matter because those who do follow you actually care about what you have to say! So take it easy. Don’t worry to much about the stats. Enjoy yourself!
So I guess that’s it for the Blogger Recognition Award. If you’ve read it all the way to the end, I hope you didn’t get too bored. Haha. I’m not going to tag anyone for this award because I have no idea who has/hasn’t done it. BUT, if you want to do it, then go ahead! I’d love to read about how your blog started!